2016 International Summit of Co-operatives
Centre des congrès, Québec, Canada
CHI held its board meeting on 10 October 2016, prior to the summit, followed by a panel discussion on long-term economic sustainability. Panelists discussed why planning ahead ensures the needs of future residents will be met and how incorporating climate change resilience into your planning will preserve housing co-operatives for future generations. This ties in nicely with the UN’s Sustainability Development Goals (SDGs) which was the main topic of discussion at the Summit. Don’t forget to pledge your co-operative’s contribution to achieving the SDGs through the Alliance’s Co-ops for 2030 campaign.
International Summit of Co-operatives – 11-13 october 2016
The theme for this year’s Summit was ‘Co-operatives: The Power to Act’. The Summit aimed to support the long-term development of businesses and to meet the main challenges of sustainable development by promoting the emergence of partnerships among them. It also provided the opportunity to show how much strength cooperatives and mutuals wield when it comes to helping to solve the key global issues identified by the United Nations. – ACTION. The Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada was pleased to support the Summit as a Communications Partner.
- Read the interview of our President, Nicholas Gazzard here: FECHIMM celebrates 30 years of serving co-operatives!
- Read the article on Argentinian housing co-ops by Marcelo Salgado here: The evolution of co-operative housing experiences in Rosario, Argentina
- Read the article on housing co-ops in Quebec by Jacques Côté and Hélène Jacques here: Multi-stakeholder senior housing co-operatives in Quebec (French only)
- Read the article on Individual Capitalisation Housing Cooperatives: Revisiting the Means to its Accomplishment in Quebec Civil Law by François Frenette, Vincent Roy, Jean Bouchard (French only)
- Read the paper on Emergence of Social Economy Initiatives for Senior Housing by Yvan Comeau (French only)
Housing in the Summit Programme
CHI Board Member, Datuk Mohamad Ali Hasan, from Malaysia is a panelist in Forum 4 on 12 October at 11am – ‘The Economic Reality of Cooperatives in Start-Up or Expansion Phase’. Click here for more information.
CHI Board Member, Anders Lago, from Sweden will be speaking at the thematic breakfast on 13 October – ‘With open arms – in action for and with refugees’. Click here for more information
Former CHI President, David Rodgers, Member of the ICA Principles Committee is facilitating the Multisector Activity event on 12 October at 2.15pm – ‘Cooperatives, Challenges and Business Opportunities within the Collaborative Economy’. Click here for more information.